KStars v3.5.0 Release Date?

Hy Murveit murveit at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 06:00:35 GMT 2020

The program continues to run nicely for me in testing.
I tested Jasem's speedup to the polar align on my RPi and worked great.
The meridian flip checkbox issue is fixed, as far as I can tell.
For me, the star detection, guiding and focus are all good.
The bugs I found previously are all fixed, with a slight issue in the
initialKeep thing.

The initialKeep thing:

   - Rob has submitted (thanks Rob) an MR
   https://invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/132 to fix the
   initialKeep issue--that edited profiles lose initialKeep, and it gets set
   to 1000000 causing possible very long computation times.
   - I briefly tested the MR, and it (mostly--see below) looks fine to me.
   My only comment is to add some more flavor to the mouse-over doc, and
   ultimately to the handbook.
   - The one issue I found, is that folks with old saved profiles, made
   before this fix -- so all existing saved profiles as of today -- will
   still have the problem until the user either deletes all their
   ~/.local/share/kstars/Saved*.ini files, or explicitly edits all their saved
   profiles and changes the initialKeep value from 1000000 to a reasonable
   number.  Our choice is to
      - either email out telling people to delete those files, and live
      with complaints from a few folks who don't delete them
      - or change the names of those files (so all people who've edited
      profiles lose their profile work--but have a record of their lost data)
      - I prefer the 2nd option--change the file names we look for--so
      effectively all files are deleted.

Other than the initialKeep discussion above, I'm pretty happy with the code.
Hy