KStars v3.5.0 Release Date?

Robert Lancaster rlancaste at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 06:13:58 GMT 2020

Hi Hy,

Yeah, we can definitely think about it, I was just throwing out some ideas.  There are multiple options.  I have one big concern though about automatically performing a calculation where we exclude stars, but I don’t have a problem with it if the calculation is part of a parameter that can be controlled by the user or the program.. The reason is this: I think there are several applications of the SEP algorithm. Right now, we are using it for finding stars for the solver, and we are also using it to find the HFR of the stars in the image.  Neither of those tasks really cares about whether we keep all the stars, and they both perform better when some stars are excluded, it just seems (as of right now) that they like different stars to be excluded and thus the two different parameters.  But my concern is that there is a very significant third application of this algorithm that we haven’t really tapped into yet.  I do start to tap into that feature in the StellarSolver Tester program, but it is not used at all yet in KStars (though it could be in the future).

That feature is the ability to perform photometry on galaxies, variable stars, and other astronomical objects.  As soon as we get this perfected into KStars, I would like to create a small program based on StellarSolver that can automatically load a list of FITS files, plate solve them, do SEP, and automatically make light curves for all the stars in the field.  I already partially implemented this feature in the tester, you can currently click on the object in the image and it shows you all the photometry info about it in a table.  Likewise you can click the table and it identifies the star.  So my concern is that if we automatically exclude stars without a user setting to control it, then we will have serious problems in photometry because it will exclude some objects of interest.

So for your initial Keep parameter, I have no problem with keeping it as it is as long as we can expose it to the user in the interface, or if we make it one of the other star filtering parameters.  But I wouldn’t want to make it a purely internal parameter that can’t be turned off by the user.  For similar reasons we should probably make sure that no stars are excluded during the partitioning process, but we can look into fixing that later, or allowing the ability to turn off the SEP partitioning if they are getting left out.

Thanks,

Rob