KStars v3.5.0 Release Date?

Hy Murveit murveit at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 02:39:46 GMT 2020

Jasem,

I see you removed the meridian flip options set in the polar alignment,
which is a good thing. Thanks.
However, there's still
which might benefit from the MR I sent.
Do you want to me to withdraw my MR and you can deal with that as you see
fit, or do you want me to modify my MR
to drop the exectureMeridianFlip, but still keep those two?
Thanks,
Hy

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 2:51 PM Hy Murveit <murveit at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> here:
>
> *Honestly, this isn't a 100% fix. I believe it is a fix worth doing, as it
> will solve the problem much of the time (as long as the user explicitly
> exits the polar align).*
>
> *However, if the user simply leaves polar align without clicking 'done'
> (e.g. by just clicking on the Solution Results sub-tab) then his/her flags
> won't be restored. Polar align should not be messing with the user's
> Options--there should be another way of preventing the MF. That said, it's
> too close to the release for me (with limited knowledge of align) to
> re-wire the thing. I'd recommend that someone more familiar with align
> refactors/re-organizes at some point so that Options::executeMeridianFlip()
> is never changed inside of polar align.*
>
> Hy
>
> PS I did find an odd issue while doing this.
>
> Stderr or stdout spewed hundreds of lines like:
>
> Error: seeking, reading, or closing file
> /tmp/internalSextractorSolver_21.solved: Invalid argument
> Error: seeking, reading, or closing file
> /tmp/internalSextractorSolver_21.solved: Invalid argument
> Error: seeking, reading, or closing file
> /tmp/internalSextractorSolver_21.solved: Invalid argument
>
> when I tried to polar align with the simulator (I was using profile:
> "Internal SEP/Internal Solver/4-SmallScaleSolving"). Does this ring a bell?
>
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 1:27 PM Hy Murveit <murveit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would say it's been pretty solid for me the last few days. I've tried
>> to test every night when possible. Good work folks!
>>
>> Two things I wanted to bring up:
>>
>> #1. There was one thing I was looking into, going to try again right now.
>> I think this would be a good thing to fix for 3.5.0 if I can find the fix
>> and it is straightforward.
>> Occasionally, though I try to set it so that it's always enabled, the
>> Meridian Flip Checkbox sometimes
>> mysteriously is not set when I start Ekos.
>>
>> This has led to missed flips & a few tripod collisions for me over the
>> past year (though now I mostly always
>> remember to check if it's on). A friend recently privately reported to me
>> that the same thing happened to him last week.
>> I suspect the polar alignment code is to blame, (I noticed it unchecks
>> and later re-checks the option) but not sure yet.
>>
>> #2. I'm not thrilled that Align's star-extraction profiles default to a
>> profile labeled "*Default profile. Generic and not optimized for any
>> specific purpose*".
>> I would rather it defaulted to one of the profiles optimized for
>> Align--e.g. Small Scale Solving. Or, perhaps some middle
>> ground between Small Scale and Large Scale. What do you think?
>>
>> Hy
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 1:04 PM Jasem Mutlaq <mutlaqja at ikarustech.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Folks,
>>>
>>> So back to this topic, any major blockers to the KStars 3.5.0 release

>>> 2. StellarSolver Profiles are more optimized now.
>>> 3. Handbook not updated yet, but we can probably work on this shortly.