GSoC Week 1 - Qt3D Based backend for KStars

Paritosh Sharma paritosh.sharmas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 18:20:35 BST 2020

The following gives a status update for this week. You can view my original
blog post here
<http://iamparitoshsharma.me/gsoc-2020/2020-06-07/weekly-report-1>.
Weekly Report 1
GSoC Week 1 - Qt3D based backend for KStars

The coding period for GSoC officially started on 1st of June. My project
aims at adding a 3D based backend to KStars which currently utilizes
QPainter to render the realtime night sky in 2D.
What’s done this week

   -

   Extension of the original KStars Skymap to show a Qt3D scene.
   -

   A horizon which displays a clear sky where skyobjects are supposed to be
   rendered.
   -

   Addition of textures and few skyobjects(Sun and Moon).
   -

   Connection of the scene with KStars backend to get the positions of
   respective skyobjects.

The Challenges

   -

   Integration issues with the original SkyPainter API written to support
   multiple backends.
   -

   Qt3D’s scenegraph based rendering on KStars which displays and updates
   data frame-by-frame.
   -

   Environment Light support to color the horizon based on Sun/Moon
   position.
   -

   Position Synchronization base on the projection mode used.

What remains

My priorities for the next week include.

   -

   Instance rendering for millions of stars displayed by KStars.
   -

   Dig deep into projection modes and shader coding based on the
   pre-existing Projector class in KStars.
   -

   Transformation updates based on signals instead of frame by frame.

Demo

[image: Skybox and Sun]
The Code

   - My fork for KStars <https://invent.kde.org/paritosh/kstars>