[Kstars-devel] Re: Interested in helping

Henry de Valence hdevalence at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 04:23:40 CEST 2010

On 21 October 2010 20:14, Akarsh Simha <akarshsimha at gmail.com> wrote:
> See
> if you can find some other low hanging fruit. That's the best way to
> start, IMO.

I expect that there will be quite a few regressions with the new
painting system. It would be good to test things using an older
version of KStars vs. the new version and compile a list of
regressions on bugs.kde.org.

We also need to find a solution to the painting-system-switching
problem but that is not a low-hanging fruit.

I think that we should try to concentrate on
i) identifying these regressions
ii) fixing them
iii) finding a way to solve the problem I described in my mail "OpenGL Update"

(i) is relatively easy; (ii) may be more work, and I don't know how to
solve (iii) -- it's out of my knowledge and noone has suggested a
solution.

However, all three of these should be done before the next release.
There are a number of things that 'could be done' with the codebase,
mostly with regard to speed and user-interface, but we should get this
painting stuff fixed before adding new features, I think.

Cheers,

Henry de Valence