[Kstars-devel] UI For Memory Management

Akarsh Simha akarshsimha at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 19:20:16 CEST 2008

Hi Jason,

> I wouldn't worry too much about making the memory estimate very
> accurate.  Since memory usage will vary anyway for a given setting,
> all we want to do is provide a rough estimate.
>
> I would just add a debug statement that shows the number of stars
> loaded into memory, and then do an "eyeball average" of that number as
> you use the program with different slider settings.  Then just
> multiply the average number of stars by the memory footprint of a
> single star.  Actually, when you do the "eyeball average", you may
> want to err on the high side of memory usage, so the displayed number
> is a conservative estimate.

It might be easier to just implement the formula for the memory usage
than to hardcode these values, if we just need a rough estimate.

I think such an estimate isn't actually required, because the maximum
memory usage I see is 120 MB with the Tycho-2 deep catalog, whereas it
was 70 MB earlier (with Hipparcos), but it would be a very nice
feature that IMO will be well appreciated.

In any case, I will start working on computing the memory usage. Let
me know if you think otherwise.