[Kst] 2.0.8

Barth Netterfield barth.netterfield at utoronto.ca
Sat Feb 22 18:14:18 UTC 2014

The fact that the problems happen with the configuration, below, and not on my
system re-enforces my belief that this is file system race-condition related.

kst decides that a file has been re-written/replaced and needs to be re-read
from the beginning when it has shrunk.  Apparently, in the configuration below,
if a file is being written to, it can appear smaller than it was.  As far as I
know, this can not happen in Linux.

As a hack (as opposed to a fix, which might require re-writing the file system I
suspect) we could tell the data vector to delay reading a few times if the
data source reports back with a shrunk file - and not try a re-read until it
has failed a few times.  This will (dramatically?) reduce the rate of failures
but since the problems are unpredictable, it won't formally fully fix the
problem.

I will commit a hack shortly.

The second problem (reading zeros) is harder to fix (but probably caused by the
same thing).  I will think about it.

cbn

--
Barth Netterfield