[Kst] Kst translations

Andriy Shinkarchuck adriano32.gnu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 10:19:39 UTC 2011

2011/9/15 Alexander Potashev <aspotashev at gmail.com>:
> 2011/9/15 Barth Netterfield <netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca>:
>> As things turn out, kst2 is a pure QT4 app, and doesn't use KDE libs at all.
>
> Do you mean that Kst won't be allowed to enter Extragear or KDE SC?
>
> A simple solution to get more translators and packagers would be to
> move Kst to KDE's Playground. It seems to be a good hiding place: no
> one will look at the code there, and localization teams still can
> reach to translating your application provided you have a script that
> exports all translatable messages (those that are surrounded with
> "tr()") into a .pot translation template. You can then convert the
> Gettext translation files (.po) back to Qt translations (.ts).
> However, this idea sounds weird, so please, read below about Marble.
>
>> We did this to make it easier to run on Windows and Mac, where KDE is
>> not as well
>> supported as it is under linux.  The major costs of this are:
>>  -We aren't actually part of extragear, so the distros are not as
>> likely to pick us up.
>>  -We don't have translations (though they are probably possible.  We
>> do use tr() everywhere.)
>>  -Weaker KDE desktop integration (icons and KIO are the big ones)
>>  -No access to KDE's timezone classes.
>>
>> We do have porting to KDE in our wishlist, but we haven't actually
>> decided if it is the right thing to do.
>
> There are many people who hate it when a piece of software has kdelibs
> in dependencies just for a single class/feature. I would recommend you
> to definitely keep a Qt-only version of Kst. Of course, there can be
> an alternative version for KDE.
>
> The situation with Kst is very similar to Marble one. The have two
> versions: a Qt-only one and another one based on kdelibs. May be you
> could do they same with translations as they do? On the translators'
> side, there are two auto-generated Gettext translation templates:
> marble.pot and marble_qt.pot (the names are self-descriptive).
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdeedu/marble
>

> --
> Alexander Potashev

+1 to Alexander said.
I and lot of my friends speaking Russian and Ukrainian greatly
apprecate for Kst localization simply for convenience of using it.
Instead of parsing strings and translating them by ourselves, official
strings list and large base of ready strings translations from KDE
localization team would be much better as for me.

So, what is Kst team opinion?