[Kst] Re: branches/work/kst/portto4/kst/src

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 25 17:29:32 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Brisset, Nicolas <
Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com> wrote:

> Hi Barth,
>
> > Start to implement manually surpressable borders in plots.
> What's the plan here? Is it something like allowing to instruct kst not
> to put a label on top of the plot? This place (on top of the plot) is
> indeed often wasted for pretty pointless labels. It could be better used
> to increase the plot area...

Sort of.  The real point is to be able to shove plots right next to each
other with no borders or labels at all for showing the performance of a
large array or something like that.  For BLAST, we have an array of 144
detectors laid out on a hex array.  For 1.x, we used a kst session with the
plots laid out on the right relative orientation touching each other with no
labels of any sort for use during focusing operations, etc.  It was pretty
useful, if a bit rare.

A much more common use is 'shared axis' which can do this automatically in
rows, columns, or both depending on which have the same range.

Should be done today or tomorrow.

And while you're at plots and drawable areas, if you can have a look at
> the "flow-around" entry in
> http://community.kde.org/KDE_Science/Kst/roadmap (in section 2.2 at the
> bottom) and tell me how you feel about it, I'd be interested. It is
> going to become more important soon, when we can really do something
> with string metadata. But maybe it is completely unrelated with what
> you're after, I can't really tell...

This sounds like 'better auto layout' which is very very important.  What we
have now is pretty terrible!
But, I don't understand in detail the use case you are describing.  Can you
provide a png which demonstrates it?

--
C. Barth Netterfield
University of Toronto