[Kst] Re: branches/work/kst/portto4/kst/src

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 17 14:21:39 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:30 AM, Brisset, Nicolas
<Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com> wrote:
> 2) If you plot e.g. p, q, r against the same X vector, the X axis label
> should not change. Right now the vector name disappears. As using the
> same X vector for all curves is certainly the vast majority of cases, we
> definitely have to optimize it.

Yes. Forgot.

> 3) When plotting more than one curve with the same Y vector unit, the Y
> axis label contains only the unit: OK. But maybe we should preserve the
> [] around the unit name, it would be more consistent (granted, that's a
> detail)

A trivial change, but I'm not sure which looks better.  Its a pretty
uncommon case in
formal plots, where "quantity [units]" is preferable.  Are there any
precedences?

> 4) When plotting two curves with different units in the same plot, only
> one of the units is shown => as I said before, I think in that case we
> have to resort to the legend

This requires a major re-working of the legend name architecture.  Not
sure if we
want this for 2.0.3.

> 5) When adding editing plot contents (adding a curve), the Apply button
> of the dialog does not get activated

Trivial fix.  Will do.

> 6) Legends are not optimized yet (i.e. X vector repeated, no unit) - but
> you said it's still coming

This requires a major re-working of the legend name architecture.  Not
sure if we
want this for 2.0.3.

> 7) Legends don't appear automatically when needed - but I think that's
> also still part of the TODO list
>
> If I understand you right, you still have something coming for legends,
> so hopefully it will fix 6) and 7).

Not started yet.

> And even if it takes a couple more days, I'd actually be
> tempted to try the "super top label" approach now (i.e. allowing the
> legend to be place in or above the plot) because I think it will be
> needed to solve everything nicely. But I don't realize exactly how much
> more work that requires...

Might not be too hard, but every time I attack viewitems, I shudder.

> Apart from the legend points, I'd say we need to fix 2), maybe 3), 4) -
> and 5) even though it is not directly related.

2 & 5; decide on 3.

> I can't wait to have this finished! I'm planning to do some screencasts
> as soon as this works well, so that we can do a very professional
> release and some PR around it this time.

Lets do a 2.0.3 release after this weekend, and do the big PR event
for 2.1.0, which
will have the legend changes as well.

--
C. Barth Netterfield