[Kst] Kst 2.0

Matthew D Truch matt at truch.net
Fri Nov 13 18:49:53 CET 2009

Greetings,

I've been using kst2 this morning (under linux) with 48 plots of live
100Hz data (showing the most recent 40 seconds of data).  This is with
kst2 from this morning's svn.  These are the issues I've noticed:

If you turn on data mode, the data mode indicator on the plot (grey
filled circle) remains, even after you scroll your mouse to a new plot.
If in "live" mode, the indicator will scroll with the plot until it
disappears off the edge.  If you turn off datamode all shown indicators
disappear, but if you turn it on, those ones reappear.

When in data mode, the position of the data mode indicator and the
values in the bottom status bar only update if you move the mouse.  When
live data is scrolling by and the mouse is still, the data mode
indicator scrolls off the plot with the data (until you jiggle the
mouse).

When you plot 48 plots on one screen, the default text size for the
plots is way too small to be readable.

In this case (48 plots, live data at 100Hz) kst2 is now usable (last
time I tested it it was too bogged down to use).  However, it is still
more sluggish than kst1 would feel with the same data on the same
machine.  There are probably still some multiple draws or something.

With the live data, the UI is sluggish.  I have the plot update timer
set to 200ms, but clearly the data only updates at about 2Hz (and it's
kinda random), and between updates drawing things on the plots (like
zoom rectangles) is choppy (updating when the data does).  The dialog
boxes are also sluggish.  kst2 must not be multi-threaded.

In zoom plot mode (hit 'z' when mouseover a plot) the text does not
increase size as the plot expands.  This doesn't look proportioned
correctly.

When looking at dirfile data, if the symlink changes, kst doesn't notice
and one has to hit reload to get it to update.  This is annoying at
best.

Perhaps unrelated to kst, but the new symbolic link name in defile
(replacing the defile.cur indirect file) is retarded.  It slows me down
and the double extension is pointless.

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe, and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former -- Einstein."
matt at truch.net
http://matt.truch.net/