[Kst] Real-time data display without files ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Apr 26 03:39:47 CEST 2006

Hi Barth,

On 25 April 2006 at 00:59, Barth Netterfield wrote:
| You don't need to write any UI.  The data sources are designed to be run-time
| plugable into the existing UI - they are not so hard to write.  The only real
| issue for you, I guess, is memory (forgetting old data at the right time).
|
| But I have allways preferred the separate app approach.

Is there an example, stanza or particular routine you could point me to?

| > New problem and question: can kst 'synchronise' separate sources? If I have
| > several data streams in different files coming at similar but not identical
| > rates and times, then the x-axes 'drift' apart and the simple equations I
| > plotted looked 'jagged'.  Do I have to synchronise this in the logging app
| > which writes the files for kst?
|
| Sigh... 'fraid so - this is what we do in our apps.  We haven't figured out a
| general case definition of syncing inside of kst.

That was actually pretty easy to set up, and I am quite pleased with the
result.  Still, may be worthwhile to try a direct plugin.

Now for the new question: I could not see how I could use the existing
plugins to setup a Shewhart-style quality control chart (essentially, mean
plus/minus a fixed number of standard deviations) over a `running' data
window (of, say, the last M points, and only backwards-looking).

Am I missing something obvious?  While it shouldn't be too hard judging from
the existing plugin examples, it is also standard enough that someone else
would have wanted that...

Thanks, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison