[Kst] ctime display format

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Apr 22 18:20:39 CEST 2006

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply!

On 22 April 2006 at 12:07, Matthew D Truch wrote:
| > Hi kst'ers,
|
| Greetings (from at least one kst'er).
|
| > After some minor wrestling, I managaed to import a large-ish (approx 400k
| > lines) data set of fairly high-frequency observations from a text file.
|
| Cool.  Kst is great for large datasets, including datasets much larger
| than 400k lines, and especially great for datasets that are growing
| (being appended to) in real time.

Yes, that's the plan -- I wouldn't mind trying to write a plugin to work with
the C++ callback scheme we use. I got our data into R without too much
trouble, but R is more generic and was not invented for real-time monitoring.
I have it working, but the plotting widgets aren't fast enough.

I'm sure I'll come back to the list crying for help :)  In fact, what I was
thinking was to maybe try the simplest plugin that just reads some data from
the host (load from /proc, or data transferred on eth0, ...) as a test.

| > Now, is there a way to have kst convert these numerics back into 'human
| > readable' time for display purposes?
|
| Yes.  I'll assume that you have your data plotted with time on the x
| axis (and you already have the plot).  Open the edit plot dialog (from
| either the plots menu, or by pressing the shortcut 'e' when your mouse
| is over the plot you want to edit).  Click on the x-axis tab, and in the
| scale section, check the "Interpret as:" box.  Select standard C time as
| the type, and choose your "Display as:" format from the (smallish) list of
| available types.

Excellent, thanks. I think I even saw those a few days ago when I had a first
attempt but forgot about it :-/  Can this be set from the data wizard / plot
setup too, or is it always after the first display?

| Hope that answers your question.  Good luck.

Yes, thanks a lot -- and thanks to all of you for kst. I had observed this
from a distance over the years, had added it into the last few Quantian [1]
releases, but never really played with it.  I may now :)

Cheers, Dirk

[1] http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian  aka  http://www.quantian.orh

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison