[Kst] .kst file format

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Jun 11 02:53:26 CEST 2004

I spent some time debugging Kst files and why the old ones don't load
properly.  There is no code that picks up plots and places them in a "default
view".  I think this will be conceptually hard to implement with the current
<window> implementation.  It presently looks like this:

<plot>
</plot>
<window>
   <plot>foo</plot>
</window>

So "plot" is loaded but not hooked into a window until the <window> node
references it.  I was envisioning something more like this:
<window>
   <plot>
   // entire plot body
   </plot>
</window>

This allows us to be easily backwards compatible with old Kst files, but not
the other way around.  I don't think that matters though.  Even if the old
Kst can load new Kst files, it can't properly render them.  This format
allows us to load all plots inline too, which I think is a bonus (less
complicated).  Again, it does prevent single plot in multiple views, but we
decided against that so I think it's fine.

KDE Developer			http://www.kde.org/
Staikos Computing Services Inc.	http://www.staikos.net/