[Kst] Performance

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Dec 16 20:06:59 CET 2004

On Thursday 16 December 2004 13:55, Barth Netterfield wrote:

> > > How long on a local machine?  Over the web, obviously, this is open
> > > ended... 1 per mouse I assume...
> >
> >   10-35ms per call, local client.  I have a patch that removes most of
> > these but it's not done yet.  (Still buggy)
>
> Ahhh... so we were doing lots of them unneededly.  Are you just cacheing
> it? This could be a huge speedup for multi-plot situations (as you have
> been trying to say.)

  Exactly! :-)  Yes, we were actually already caching it, but there were some
calls missing to keep things in sync.  I have a patch that is at least "close
enough" to working to commit.  There might be some small quirks, but I
haven't seen anything major yet.  I'm working from the laptop right now and
it's too loaded to give me good numbers but if you want to test, just check
to see what the difference is in paint() when there is no draw.  It also
affects the case where there is a draw (ie: dirty), but not as big
percentage.

   I noticed that the tie boxes flicker a whole lot here.  We really need to
sort this out somehow.  Our painting for data mode and tie boxes is really
sub-optimal.