Plans for Qt 6

Tobias Leupold tl at stonemx.de
Fri Jan 20 22:04:52 GMT 2023

Am Freitag, 20. Januar 2023, 21:19:12 CET schrieb Johannes Zarl-Zierl:
> Am Freitag, 20. Jänner 2023, 19:55:33 CET schrieb Andreas Schleth:
> > > I'm inclined to take the same stance as with the Qt5 transition: start
> > > as
> > > soon as it's reasonably easy to do. If possible, keep a Qt5 branch for
> > > back ports of important bugfixes around for a limited time.
> >
> > I don't exactly know what that means, but for us testers out here in the
> > diaspora, a not too bleeding edge git master helps us to continue testing.
> >
> > So it would be nice if you could have a look around, how the support for
> > QT6 is on the Ubuntus, Suses, Fedoras out there.
> >
> > I'll be glad to contribute from the Suse side, as always :-)
>
> Given that feedback I feel that I don't have to bend over backwards to start
> the Qt6 transition as early as possible ;-)

I'll tell you when Gentoo marks Qt 5 for removal in a month ;-)

I think a good starting point for the port will be when the distros we use
start to mix Qt 5 and Qt 6, along with the Qt 6 based Frameworks packages we
need. And we simply can mess with it, without having to bend over backwards.

I already ported another project (muckturnier.org) to Qt 6 (without losing Qt
5.15 compatibility!), and it was quite straightforward. No big mess, just a
few cleanups and some code changes that would definitely have been meaningful
earlier. And almost no #if... stuff. No big deal after all. Well, for KPA, it
will be a bit more work, but less as for the Qt 4 to Qt 5 port back then.

So I think we should let this come to us and we shouldn't rush into anything.

That's the neat part of being Extragear: We can :-D