Thinking about how to optimize image selection

Andreas Schleth schleth_es at web.de
Mon Dec 4 01:24:08 GMT 2023

Hi Robert,

do you really use the mouse at all to navigate through the images in
thumbnail mode?
If tagging with the letter tags in thumbnail view, I only use the
keyboard. Same with the viewer. One hand on the arrow/pg-up/down keys,
the other on the selected letter - ready to strike anytime.
In the time it would take to find my mouse (you mention some middle
button action) I could easily flip through several images in the viewer.
However, I could imagine a keyboard shortcut to "raise" a thumbnail to
full screen size as long as the button is held down. On my keyboard (DE
layout) the "^" would be the logical key (top left and somewhat
meaningful). Whether this would be faster than the two-pass method has
to be seen.

Another idea would be a shortcut to switch the mouse to "inspect mode"
beforehand (as with the new crtl-t to enter tag mode in the viewer), so
a simple mouse-down would suffice - maybe even to blow up the image to
1:1 px per px view with mouse pan ...

Cheers, Andreas