Video backend selection

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Thu Jan 6 00:41:36 GMT 2022

Am Mittwoch, 5. Jänner 2022, 22:53:29 CET schrieb Andreas Schleth:
> So, may I partially revise my opinion? A simple integrated player has
> its merits. Which backend you choose does not really matter as long as
> it plays. The choice should be done automagically with the option to
> play with it in the settings, in case something goes wrong.

I'm glad it's not just me expecting things to Just Work without being hit in
the face with a dialog first ;-)

So, my take-away message so far is:

Less forced input from the user is better.

Based on the overall theme in this discussion of "what's wrong with phonon?",
I'm tempted to change the video player priority to "phonon > vlc > QtAV".

I'll add an information dialog when the backend is changed due to a crash.

> off topic: is there nobody else listening in?
>
> It looks as if the switch of the mailing list has lost us quite a few
> subscribers. (Happy, if I am wrong)

Sadly, yes. We went from over 70 to a little over 20 subscribers. Most of the
people who have semi-recently participated in discussions have migrated,
though.

Cheers,
  Johannes