Fwd: Video backend selection

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Thu Jan 6 00:25:14 GMT 2022

Am Mittwoch, 5. Jänner 2022, 17:14:23 CET schrieb Tobias Leupold:
> Am Mittwoch, 5. Januar 2022, 16:59:24 CET schrieb Jesper K. Pedersen:
> > > Isn't Phonon the abstraction layer that was intended to make it easier
> > > for
> > > people like us, so that we don't have to rack our brains about backend
> > > stuff?
> >
> > It was, and that worked for a decade but since then it seems to have
> > been abandoned.
>
> Well, this sucks then :-(

Not to be a harbinger of bad news, but this may be the sad state of many
libraries. While many are not exactly "abandoned", they are not quite active,
either. I don't want to single anyone out, but looking at our dependencies
only: Marble has very moderate activity since around 2017 [1]. Exiv2, while
showing far more activity, is currently undergoing some sort of crisis because
the maintainer stepped down and its future is not entirely clear yet.

For the record: I for one have never experienced any crashes with phonon, and
phonon is (except it being crashy for certain users) a perfect match for our
use-case of showing videos inside an image viewer.

[1] https://www.openhub.net/p/marble