[KPhotoAlbum] Some minor cleanups

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Mar 1 03:20:41 GMT 2020

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 08:30:11 -0500 (EST), Robert Krawitz wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 07:32:19 +0100, Tobias Leupold wrote:
>>> I haven't changed maps to hashes at this time, but it's worth
>>> considering.
>> It definitely is, in each and every case the ordering doesn't matter (at least
>> imho).
>>
>> Same for the Q_FOREACH removal I wanted to do recently. Tell me when your
>> stuff is merged, so that I can redo it.
>
> I've merged everything but the change from maps to hashes, so you can
> redo it.  Maps vs. hashes is all localized in one place in
> DB/ImageInfo.h, and shouldn't collide with what you're doing.  The
> parallel-md5 branch doesn't appear to contain any Q_FOREACHes.
>
> My repo's in flux right now since I started the merge last night, or I
> would have done it myself.
>
>> Nice, the codebase gets cleaner and cleaner :-)
>
> Yes, this is a significant cleanup.

OK, I've merged a slew of minor changes (including a fixlet to one of
my minor perf improvements, related to thumbnail cell height), and the
parallel-md5 branch.

Last week I bought another 3.84TB SSD to replace the old 9.5mm 2TB HDD
I had my non-7DmkII photos on (the shots from my 7DmkII were already
on the 3.84TB SSD I used to develop the parallel-md5 stuff on).
Almost surely coincidentally, within 6 hours of putting the new SSD
into service, the old SSD died hard on me, basically just throwing
errors on any command.  So I wound up having to put the old HDD back
into service and restore the 7DmkII images from backup, so the whole
thing basically came out a wash.  It was annoying because I shot an
important basketball game yesterday evening and came home to find that
the drive had failed on me.

Anyhow, the new drive seems to be much less sensitive to the tuning
parameters; I suppose its I/O latency is considerably smaller.  The
HDD setting is only modestly slower (450 MB/sec) than any of the SSD
settings (about 500 MB/sec), vs. with the old drive, which was very
sensitive to this.

--Eric Crampton