[KPhotoAlbum] Icons problems in Debian buster

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Wed Aug 28 22:29:50 BST 2019

Hi Salvador,

Am Mittwoch, 28. August 2019, 12:44:24 CEST schrieb Salvador Eduardo Tropea:
> Ok, I tried it. The tool finds all the icons, I attached the output.
>
> As I already realised most icons can be found in the "oxygen" theme. The
> "oxygen-icons-theme" is automatically installed by "kde-runtime".
>
> I tried using the "oxygen" theme, but then I have another problem: some
> texts under the icons gets cropped. I'm attaching an example.
>
>  From what I see "kiconfinder" always looks for icons in the "oxygen"
> theme, no matters which theme is selected.

That's a bit weird - normally kiconfinder should use the same theme as other
applications. Possibly relevant: what's your desktop environment? I assume
gnome3?

> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Can I configure kphotoalbum to use "oxygen" instead of the globally
> selected theme?

Not currently. You could give "qt5ct" a shot - it seems to be geared towards
this use-case.

> 2) Is it possible to make kphotoalbum use the default theme, but look
> for the missing icons in the "oxygen" theme? (modifying the code, of course)

No. You could try a different thing, though: It is possible for the theme
itself to specify a fall-back[1]. I.e. you could modify /usr/share/icons/
gnome/index.theme and add a line "Inherits=breeze" or "Inherits=oxygen". This
way the regular icon lookup should fall back to the specified icon theme.

Note: if you want this modification to survive system updates a better option
would be to copy the gnome icon theme to a different name, modify it as
needed, and set the system icon theme to the modified theme.

[1] https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html

Cheers,
  Johannes