[KPhotoAlbum] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: problems compiling KPA on Ubuntu 16.4 (LTS)

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 29 16:36:51 GMT 2017

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 17:15:28 +0100, Andreas Schleth wrote:
> But generally speaking: Wouldn't it be sensible to have a build that
> is compilable on the LTS versions of Ubuntu (or similar not yet
> totally outdated systems)?  Otherwise the user base would be limited
> to people living at the bleeding edge of things.

If you want to stick with LTS, use a version of kpa packaged for LTS
or at least a versioned release that's compatible with the packages in
LTS.

It's not reasonable to expect the development tip to stay long-term
back compatible with every system out there.  If KPA wants to take
advantage of new features in KDE, Qt, or any other interesting new
package out there, it's going to break that compatibility.

Not everyone uses Ubuntu; asking the developers to test every
push on every variant of every OS simply isn't practical.

--Eric Crampton