[KPhotoAlbum] Translations, Release schedule, Ubuntu packages (was: KPhotoAlbum 4.2-rc2)

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Wed Mar 21 08:00:33 GMT 2012

Hi there!

> http://www.vaarin.kalsarit.net/KPA/kphotoalbum-l10n-20120320.html

As the statistics show we have some very complete translations and
then many not-so-complete.
If there is anyone able to improve the translations, I totally
encourage you to do it, and do it NOW, ASAP.
As I saw the release was coming closer, I contributed to the -fi
translation so that now the main view & menus are in Finnish. That's
only 76%, but it's a start and allows you to use KPA in Finnish.

I don't think we should delay the release because of translations now
especially as we don't know of anyone working on the translations. So
my proposal is that as soon as the codebase is OK we release. If there
are significant contributions to translations after the release, then
why not release the next version - maybe with only improved
translations - in a month?

However in the future it's possible - if we get say translators for
3-5 languages - to have some kind of string freezes before releases
but having no (known) translators around it makes no sense to me.

And what comes to being included in the next Ubuntu release - as far
as I understand, we're already way beyond that point:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseSchedule
(DebianImportFreeze  Janyary 12th, FeatureFreeze February 16th..
There are exceptions but I don't believe we can make it happen..) I
also dreamed at some point of having a release out early enough for
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS but I guess as it was never said aloud it also didn't
became a deadline. But if we get the release out, maybe someone is
able to make packages for Ubuntu, maybe a Launchpad PPA that will make
it easy to install the latest KPA to Ubuntu, also the future KPA
releases. But that's a separate topic and process that'd however be
great to figure out.