[KPhotoAlbum] Preparing for new release

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Feb 9 21:49:45 GMT 2012

On 02/09/2012 07:49 AM, Miika Turkia wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Joe<josephj at main.nc.us>  wrote:
>> Wow. There is a help function! Please add this to the next release. But also
>> check how outdated the content may be.
> I believe the KPA documentation is included along with other KDE
> documentation. So when the KDE docs are generated they are generated
> for all applications, including KPhotoAlbum. At least this is how it
> looked like when I just did a bit of digging on the subject. Anyway
> this is something that should be verified and also checked with
> distribution package maintainers (e.g. Gnome and XFCE versions of
> Ubuntu are probably not installing the KDE documentation by default).
>
>> <rant>
>> All KDE documentation (not including non-KDE sites that explain things) I
>> have found so far is in an HTML/hypertext format.
> Go see http://docs.kde.org/, all the documentation is also available
> as PDFs. All docs are written in docbook so converting to different
> formats is somewhat easy and luckily done already for KDE
> documentation.
>
> http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/kphotoalbum/kphotoalbum.pdf
>
> miika

Thanks.  I wish I'd known about that a long time ago!

OK.  You gave me the link to KPA's pdf.  How do I find it and others (in
pdf format) if I don't have the direct link?

I went to http://docs.kde.org/ and searched for kate and only found the
html version.

Then, I clicked on all the links on the left panel one at a time and
finally found it (by trial and error) under baseapps.

I looked for KPA that way and didn't find it at all.  The only way I
found it was searching for it by name and then, I only found the html
version (which appears to be seven and a half years old - by the
revision statement).  The left panel doesn't have an Extragear-Graphics
category to click on.

Next, I looked at the Intro tab and found:
"The documentation for KDE Extragear applications is only available in
the development section."
But, I didn't see any link for the "development section".

In short, it's way too hard to find.

We probably can't fix the kde site without a lot of effort/discussion,
but we could put links to both (several?) versions of the documentation
on the KPA website.

What am I missing?

Joe