[KPhotoAlbum] Removing SQL backend from KPA

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Fri Apr 27 14:45:29 BST 2012

Greetings, fellow KPhotoAlbumers.

Many, many years ago I attempted at making an alternative backend to the
XML based one we have which used SQL. I failed.

Following that, Tuomas made a heroic attempt at the same with similar luck.

Finally, during the KPA developer sprint Tuomas, Jan, Henner and I tried,
and...well you guessed it, failed.

Now it has been a few years since the last attempt, and it doesn't seem
like anyone is brave enough to give it yet another go.

Each attempt brought with it a price for the remaining codebase. An example
of this is the DB::Id that was introduced most recently, which introduced
yet another level of indirection when trying to get your hands on the info
about the files.

In an attempt to make KPA easier to maintain in the future, I'd like to
throw away the SQL backend and as a result simplify the codebase all over.

Any objections? (Any such objections should really come with a "Yes I will
take upon me to finish the SQL backend" please).

thousands of images?