[KPhotoAlbum] Plans for a new official release ?

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Wed Dec 28 08:32:09 GMT 2011

On 12/04/2011 08:46 AM, Martin Jost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> are there plans for a new official release of KPA ?
> The last one (4.1.1) is now sightly more than two years old (15 Nov 2009 ).
> And the latest snapshot ("We are regularly releasing a snapshots") is
> even older, according to the name: "20090721"
>
> So it seems the only current way to get a newer KPA is to use git.
> While I can manage this, it will be a sure blocker for many users.
> (With the information available, it also took a little bit of time for
> me, cause I'm used to CVS and SVN, but not git)
>
> On the other hand, there is a bunch of new, useful features in the git
> version, (Like searching for the rating or the megapixels) let alone the
> bug fixes.
>
> The only apparent problem I've seen so far is the miss of translations
> and the needed testing. (Do I miss something really big and obvious here ?)
>
> I also had a look for a sort of roadmap for KPA, but didn't find any.
> So what are the current plans ?
>
> Regards
>
> Martin
>
> P.S.:
> I could help with the testing of a release candidate. After all I'm
> using the git version currently anyway...

I asked for an enhancement quite a few months ago and someone actually
did it very quickly. However, I still don't have it because I haven't
gotten around to learning how to build from source/git (I know there are
instructions on this list and elsewhere). I have to be an end user at
least some of the time so I can actually get something done other than
maintaining my system.

In short, it would be really nice if releases happened more often.

Awhile back, before I upgraded to kubuntu lucid, I tried using a
kphotoalbum ppa, but it was incompatible with my system. Maybe with
lucid it would work now. I don't want to be on the bleeding edge, just
further along than the last official release.

I also have a newer notebook (for my partner) which is running kubuntu
oneiric and the pictures are hers, so I could easily manage them on that
notebook if using the newer distribution release would help.

Joe