[KPhotoAlbum] (yet another) html front end

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Sat Feb 7 15:13:36 GMT 2009

On Sat Jan 3 2009, Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> - I have most of my photos in Nikon RAW format (NEF) -> need to be
> converted before publishing -> tags need to be managed to the
> corresponding JPG files..

 Okay, posting to the list because I've made a few changes and
 it's getting a bit more polished now -- at least the functionality
 is, if not the source (I still write PHP4 code in PHP5 :) or indeed
 the aesthetics (design isn't my thing, and I'm on a 1024x600 laptot,
 and I'm sticking to those excuses).

 Anyhoo, I've been doing some of the raw files (Minolta's MRW) and
 my earlier approach works, though it takes a while to gen the image
 to cache the first time.  On a decent computer I see this as less of
 an issue but there's no way around it - as soon as you want to publish
 a 15+MB file you're going to have the expense of converting it at
 some time in the process.  And yes, tags follow the cached images,
 as you say.

 I've also implemented an 'admin' function, visible from the front
 page, that identifies number of thumbs / large pictures yet to be
 built, and offers to build them in one go.  This sometimes times
 out (PHP's run-time limit) but it's troublesome to predict this, in
 part because this is installation-specific - usually 30s, but a lot
 of people bump this up (or down).  So it's a matter of hitting
 the admin / build-missing-pics page a few times.

 I've also implemented a rinky dinky pseudo 'scroll bar' that can
 move you quickly around the thumbnail list (it's just 20 jpgs
 next to each other that look like a scrollbar).  I was pretty happy
 with the effect and functionality, anyway.

> - I want to rsync only the photos that I publish, not all 80G..

 This aspect works well. I mean, it worked this way from the
 start, but my experiences the past month of doing updates has
 been very positive - rsync from this laptop out to the two sites
 I mentioned earlier (and am about to mention again : )

 http://progsoc.org/~jedd/kphpalbum
 http://dingogully.com.au/kphpalbum

 Append a /kphpalbum.tgz to each of those URLs to download a
 tarball of the current source snapshot (as used on those pages).

 As always, happy to take constructive criticism and advice.

 Jedd.