[KPhotoAlbum] Couple of queries & suggestions

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Tue Feb 3 19:32:01 GMT 2009

Eivind Kjorstad wrote:
> If, however it hasn't, then there's two possibilities, either this is
> a new file, or a file was renamed.
>
> So, in this case, we calculate the md5sum of the file, and see if we
> have an entry for a file with that md5sum. If we do, it means it's the
> same file, but under a new name (i.e a rename), if we do not, we
> assume it's a new, previously unseen, file.

This is all correct.

> So, renaming files *will* cause kphotoalbum to do md5sum
> recalculations for the moved files. If you recalculate md5sums (from
> the menu in kphotoalbum) and thereafter save, this problem should go
> away. (until the next time you rename files, after which it reappears)

Actually when KPA detects that a mvoed file, it attempts to "rename" it
in the internal database as well, which in turn toggles the "needs
saving" indicator in the status bar. When you press "Save" after that,
all changes are stored in the XML DB and you won't see any more
recalculating till you shuffle your files next time.

If jedd is seeing repeated MD5 calculations (he could tell by using
debugger to check if the respective functions are called), then there's
probably a bug somewhere and we should fix it.

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth