[KPhotoAlbum] Thumbnails for images not on the disk disappear

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Thu Oct 9 16:52:28 BST 2008

Murray Strome wrote:
>     > Might this be the problem? Why do you delete thumbs?
>
>     Because we remove the original file.
>
> I don't quite understand this comment.  Does this mean that when I
> delete the original image from the disk (but not KPhotoAlbum), YOU
> delete the thumb?

Nope. It means that when you delete the file from inside KPA, we delete
the thumbnail as well.

> If this is the case, that explains my problem.  I
> thought the thumbs should remain unless I delete the image from the
> Album (i.e. I guess that would mean the KPhotAlbum library).

You can always strace kphotoalbum to see if it deletes your thumbnails.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't do that, though.

> I assume that you must start deleting thumbs from $HOME/.thumbs when the
> size exceeds the maximum cache size is exceeded. Is that correct? Do you
> have any recommendations for that size?

Nope, the cache size specifies the amount of RAM you want to sacrifice
to speed up the regeneration. In the kde4 branch, we provide a more
reasonable value. Right now, anything over 10 or 20 MB should be enough,
but if you have plenty of RAM, nothing will break if you set it to 50MB
or even more.

Cheers,
-jkt