[KPhotoAlbum] Gentoo setup help

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Mon Nov 24 10:47:07 GMT 2008

Ted Miller wrote:
> 1. It does not seem to be able to view 48 bit tiff images.  They all show
> up as gray squares with the missing upper-right corner.

Missing upper-right corner means that KPA thinks the file is not
available on the disk. Check the permissions for this file (and all
directories above). Also have a look at the index.xml file in the
top-level directory where you store your images and check if the file
paths herein match.

> I am also stuck on getting some of the dead things in "Feature Status" working:
>
> 2. EXIF support is not working.  I installed kde-gfx/exiv2-0.17 and
> media-libs/libkexiv2-0.1.5.

Don't install anything, just make sure you have USE=exif set. Please
refer to the Gentoo Handbook for details.

> 3. SQLite database support is not working.  I installed
> dev-db/sqlite-3.5.9.  Do I need the "embedded" USE tag, or is something
> else wrong?

Don't install anything, but make sure your Qt3 is built with the
"sqlite" use flag.

> 4. "Video Thumbnail support" is not working.  I installed
> kde-base/artsplugin-xine.

I haven't bothered to setup these thumbnails, but some people say that
adding something like "mplayer-thumbnails" helps.

> I hope someone who uses Gentoo reads this list, as that would be most
> helpful.

One of KPA developers is a Gentoo developer as well :)