[KPhotoAlbum] Can't get exif info for CR2 on Ubuntu

Lars Clausen lars at raeder.dk
Wed May 9 20:48:12 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 23:49 +0200, Martin Jost wrote:
> Shawn Willden schrieb:
> > On Tuesday 08 May 2007 02:44:26 pm Lars Clausen wrote:
> >
> > Trying to compile exiv2 from
> > source... the exiv2 program now works... the strange warning is gone...
> > but config.h wasn't changed and it didn't pick up on the new libexiv2
> > (neither according to its behaviour nor according to ldd).  pkg-config
> > does pick up the new libexiv2, but even after doing make clean, I can't
> > get KPA to use it.  Trying with LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib... that did the
> > trick, and KPA now can see EXIF!  Yay!
> >

> > No, it shouldn't -- very strange.  Glad you got it to work.  Have you
> > submitted a bug report to Ubuntu?  If not, could you please?  It's very
> > unfortunate if such an important feature of KPA doesn't work out of the box
> > on a popular distro like Ubuntu.
> >

> Let me guess...
> The exiv2 coming with Ubuntu is probably installed under /usr (not
> /usr/local) and somehow broken.
> Compiling exiv2 without any configure flags (especially without
> --prefix) will install exiv2 in /usr/local

Yes.

> Configuring KPA once again still picks up the broken version below /usr.
> (Instead of /usr/local)

See there's the catch -- pkg-config picks up the good version
from /usr/local, but KPA doesn't use pkg-config. It uses the
KDE_CHECK_HEADER autoconf macro, I guess that one picks /usr rather
than /usr/local for some reason.

> Adding LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib... will (probably) make KPA link against the one under /usr/local.
> (I would strongly advise to also set CPPFLAGS to /usr/include, so consistent include-files are picked)
>
> So: what is to do about it ?

Fix Ubuntu to have a working exiv2, fix KDE to have a working
KDE_CHECK_HEADER, or fix KPA to use pkg-config?

-Lars