[KPhotoAlbum] How to make share auto mount on system start

Shawn Willden shawn-kimdaba at willden.org
Sun May 6 13:37:01 BST 2007

On Friday 04 May 2007 02:30:01 pm Neil Paisnel wrote:
> I have now got a working share on the windows XP home machine, that I can
> access from the Kubuntu Feusty box from within KPA.

Here's another option:  Why not just copy the images to the Feisty box?
Assuming disk space isn't an issue, it's not only easier than mucking about
with file shares, but it also gets your images in two places, which can be
very valuable if something goes wrong.

I use rsync to transfer my image collection between computers.  It's fast and
doesn't copy data that is already on the destination machine.  I always
download pictures from my camera to my laptop, then rsync them to my file
server, and rsync them from the file server to my wife's laptop and to my
kids' desktop.  I'm working to arrange a way to rsync them to my brother's
machine at his house, in order to get an off-site copy as well.

In your case, the way I'd do it is:

1.  apt-get install rsync on the Feisty box.
2.  Edit /etc/rsyncd.conf to define a writable rsync share.  Point it where
you want to store your pictures on the Feisty box.
3.  Edit /etc/default/rsync to enable the rsync server
4.  Install cygwin on the XP box, taking care to make sure the rsync package
is  selected.
5.  Open a bash command-line window on the XP box, navigate to where the
images are and then run something like "rsync -Pav . feistybox::pictures".

Repeat step 5 every time you load new photos on the XP box.  To make it even
easier, put that line in a shell script and create a shortcut on the desktop.

	Shawn.