[KPhotoAlbum] Using STL-containers in kphotoalbum code ?

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Tue May 1 10:15:34 BST 2007

Hi,
> I have no strong reasons against STL, except that it is one more thing to
> learn when programming Qt. (Actually I dont personally know much STL, so I
> would have a hard time with STL code).

Its not that complicated. Is very similar what QT already provides
(they claim this is there only to accomodate systems that don't have
STL).

> Are you sure that QMap<ImageRequest*, whatever> doesn't do the job?

Using the pointer as the key would compare the addresses in memory
with the less-than operator instead of comparing the objects. For
this, a custom comparator has to be written - which I don't see a way
in QT.

Another solution I see is to have a pretty small object (called like
ImageDescriptor or ImageKey) that could contain the filename, width x
height, angle (or just the MD5 hash of this tuple) that could even be
used in a normal value set or even as a key for a cache.
Maybe this is more flexible ?

cheers,
  -henner