[KPhotoAlbum] kpa and iptc

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Mon Feb 26 11:32:02 GMT 2007

Jesper K. Pedersen venit, vidit, dixit 2007-02-25 17:57:
> I can't believe noone doesn't want to pick up this fine offer.
> Using EXIV2 I don't think this isn't really that much trouble at all.

I don't know about others, but I don't have the time and I'm not too
confident about about my abilities in this respect. Maybe it would help
if Julien could be a bit more specific about the goals. Several
possibilities come to my mind:

1) managing IPTC from with KPA (but not mixing with the database)
2) import of IPTC data into the KPA database
3) export of KPA keywords into IPTC
4) two-way sync of data between IPTC and KPA database
5) replace use of database completely by EXIF/IPTC backend

1) Can be achieved using the MetaEdit plugin of kipi-plugins 0.1.3.
(haven't tried it yet.)
2) and 3) should be easy.
4) would have to solve the usual sync conflicts.
5) sounds like lots of work.

2),3) could be virtually combined: Have IPTC data treated like EXIF now,
i.e. available as search criteria and for display, maybe cached, but
without any import/export going on.

Michael