[KPhotoAlbum] order criteria for a family photo collection

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Tue Feb 6 11:33:39 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 3:20 am, Heinz Kohl wrote:
 ] - A main collecting criterium of me is the scan number of the photo.
 ]   I've maintained it as part of the file name (e.g. scan 2147 could be
 ] grandfather-2147.jpg, WorldWar-I-Italy-2147.jpg and XMas-2147.jpg)
 ]   It should be possible to seek and sort for this collection criterium.

 I suspect part of the problem - outside of you wanting to use an
 arbitrary sorting mechanism that few other people have need to
 adopt - is that your most significant data, within the filename, is
 located at the wrong end of the filename.

 From my observations, and from what Eugene has pointed out, if you
 had the number at the start of your filenames it'd probably work
 (or at least be easier to write scripts around the files in order to
 make it work).

 ] - Without time there could be no sorting property founded in KPhotoalbum.
 ] I think about some free order criteria which the potential of the time, at
 ] least to differentiate between the (more or less) dating part and the
 ] ordering part of the time with the possibility to connect these very
 ] different roles.

 I use lots of sorting properties other than time -- in fact, very
 rarely do I care more about the time of a photo than I do about
 where it was taken or who was in it.  That is -- my first sort order
 or selection criteria is content rather than chronology, although my
 second and third criteria typically is time.

 I'd encourage you to play around with KPhotoAlbum a bit more and
 become comfortable with the various other powerful features of
 the application, before you finish evaluating it.  It's possible that
 it can't / won't do what you want, but I imagine that you just
 haven't worked out ways of doing what you want within the design
 of this tool.  What is it they say  --- if the only tool you have is
 a hammer, then all your problems start to look like nails.

 cheers,
 Jedd.