[KPhotoAlbum] Orientation of raw thumbnails

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 1 16:37:05 GMT 2007

Lars Clausen venit, vidit, dixit 2007-02-02 01:47:
> Michael J Gruber said:
>> I thought this was discussed before, but I didn't find it in the list
>> archive:
>>
>> For my cr2 raw files (Canon EOS 350D), KPA (3.0) generates thumbnails
>> always in landscape orientation. Yet, EXIF info in KPA shows the
>> orientation information is there.
>>
>> It seems thumbnail generation is done by a version of parse.c from D.
>> Coffin which hasn't been synced with DC's updates in a while. EXIF info
>> is read using a different library.
>>
>> So, do others have the same problem with cr2 thumbails, or is this an
>> issue with my setup?
>
> I have the same problems, also with a 350D, though every time I've been
> about to report it, it seemed to not be fully consistent.  That might be
> me being confused about when I've rotated what, but I've definitely seen
> the issue with CR2 and never with JPG.
>
> -Lars

For me it's 100% reproducible: thumbnails of jpg's are rotated
correctly, thumbnails of cr2's are not rotated at all. I'm wondering:
Does KPA use some KDE or QT stuff for the thumbnails? Then the
functionality would depend on that, of course. But me thinks KPA uses
that parse.c copy from DC. Let's see what THE MAN says, he's got a 350D,
too, I think.

Michael