[KPhotoAlbum] Thumbbail problem solved - new snapshot available

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Thu Jan 26 05:33:41 GMT 2006

Finally found the problem with the thumbnails not showing up.
If you had never run the settings dialog, then you wouldn't have a value in
the config file for the thumbnail cache, and as a result I used a default,
namely 4096. This number used to be kbytes, but at some point in development
I decided to change the unit to Mbytes.

So now the pixmap cache tried to allocate 4Gb, which it likely failed, and
thus it used 0 bytes instead. Due to the design of the thumbnail loader, this
resulted in the cache always being empty, and thus the paint event never
finding its images.

Over the last weeks I've been "fighting" several of you who suggested this or
that feature being configurable, so let this just be a leason: Had the size
not been configurable, then you and I would never had got to a situation
where we had different values for the cache, and I wouldn't have spent all my
KPhotoAlbum time the last week searching for this bug.

I'm no way saying that settings are a bad idea, I'm just pointing out that the
price tag on making something a setting is far often much higher (over the
life span of the application), than what the user or for that matter the
developer things, so we should aim at only making things configurable when
really needed.

A new snapshot, including this fix is now available.

Jesper K. Pedersen          |  Klarälvdalens Datakonsult
Senior Software Engineer    |  www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Prinsensgade 4a st.         |
9800 Hjørring               |  Platform-independent
Denmark                     |  software solutions