Fwd: Re: [KimDaBa] New snapshot with improved thumbnail viewer

Walter Francis wally at theblackmoor.net
Fri Jan 13 15:33:50 GMT 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:49:11 -0500, "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
wrote:

> well you still have it in the status bar just hover the mouse over the
> image.
>
> Please explain why this isn't good enough.

There have been a lot of opinions that the filename under the thumbnail is a
good thing, I think there's lots of agreement there, so please, if you've
removed it, put it back.

You can't glance at the screen and see the filenames, hovering and looking back
and forth isn't convenient at all.  And there are lots of times I'm looking
through a set of images of a subject and might not know the date, but maybe a
range of dates.  So I don't want to necessarily restrict the search to a set of
dates, then have to change it, so I just browse all the pictures of said
subject and glance at the dates as I go through.

My images are named DD_MM_YYYY-HH_MM_SS-EXPOSURE.jpg and I can instantly see
the date, time, and exposure which helps greatly when I'm comparing pictures.

Also, if you're scrolling through a few hundred pictures are you going to hover
over them to see the filename if you're looking for something?  Maybe if you're
using the scroll wheel, but not the scroll bar for sure.

I haven't updated to the latest snapshot, but the last one I compiled, around
the time you added EXIF info in, still looks great in the thumbnail view.  Just
a bunch of thumbnails without the filenames would be disorienting.  :(