[KimDaBa] new feature: IPTC keywords

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 23 23:56:04 BST 2005

   Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:24:35 +0200
   From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>

   On 10/23/05, Robert L Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
   >    Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:23:47 +0200
   >    From: Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com>
   >
   > BTW, I'm not convinced that a plugin is the right way to do this;
   > adding a keyword would change the MD5 hash, which is something the
   > core application needs to know about.  I'm also dubious about an
   > architecture that specifies that it won't change the file, but it's
   > perfectly OK for a plugin to; users shouldn't really have to know
   > about the difference between a plugin and the core application.

   I personally wouldn't mind if KimDaBa touched this part of the
   photo.  It supposedly does not affect the image, or the quality of
   the image (like rotating does). Maybe a big fat warning popup when
   IPTC data is first entered would be in order. Or even an import
   feature whereby imported photos CAN be touched. That would lead the
   way to other plugins that are nessaccary, such as red-eye reduction
   and brightness/ contrast control. As an end user, I expect these
   basic features to be in the image organizing software. Although,
   anything else should be left to the Gimp or Photoshop.

Red-eye reduction and brightness/contrast control are actually quite
destructive.  Brightness/contrast adjustment permanently loses a lot
of information, particularly since images are normally stored in 8 bit
mode -- adjusting it back won't restore that information.  Those
features belong in image editors, not image organizers.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton