[KimDaBa] new feature: IPTC keywords

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 17:23:47 BST 2005

On 10/18/05, Marco Molteni <molter at tin.it> wrote:
> One of the missing features for image viewers/managers in the
> Unix world is the lack of support for IPTC keywording, which are
> widely used by professional photographers [1].
>
> The only app I am aware of is mapivi, which has a user interface
> that I don't like.
>
> I think that adding IPTC keywords support to kimdaba would attract
> a lot of photographers who today stay with windows because they
> need photoshop and its support for IPTC keywords.
>
> If you are interested, you should consider two related features:
> 1) a controlled vocabulary
> 2) storing the keywords in the images themselves
>

> 1) is a sort of the dewey decimal classification for books:
> the list of keywords (what kimdaba calls categories) is fixed, to
> allow for different people with the same controlled vocabulary to
> perform searches on the same photo database and obtain the same
> results ;-) Anybody can create its own controlled vocabulary or
> one can reuse existing ones.
>

> 2) keywords should stay in the image files themselves (and eventually
> cached in a database or the equivalent index.xml file), because
> IPTC is a standard and you get automatic interoperability by storing
> the keywords in the files.
>
> thanks again
> marco

I see that I got to this thread a little late. I second the opinion
that there is a definite need for IPTC support in a product such as
KimDaBa. My home system has a windows box KVM'ed in only because I
need to run BrilliantPhoto in Windows. I have found no comparable
program for Linux, with the exception of KimDaBa, which unfortunatly
does not support the IPTC data in my photos. And I can't get
BrilliantPhoto to run in wine, crossover, or anything else that I
tried.

If KimDaBa were to support the IPTC data, then I could pilot that
winbox right out my fourth floor window! As BrilliantPhoto was an $18
investment, I would be willing to make a similar investment in KimDaBa
for similar performance. Just something for an OpenSource programer in
need of OpenSource funds to consider.

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/what_is_a_router.html
What is a router?