[KimDaBa] Re: new feature: IPTC keywords

Lars Tore Gustavsen reklame at mulebakken.net
Fri Oct 21 13:30:28 BST 2005

Marco Molteni <molter at ...> writes:

> One of the missing features for image viewers/managers in the
> Unix world is the lack of support for IPTC keywording, which are
> widely used by professional photographers [1].
>
> The only app I am aware of is mapivi, which has a user interface
> that I don't like.

Bibble have also some support for IPTC
And there are lots of commandline tools supporting IPTC, like
exiftools and EXIFutils

Since there is a perl module named Image::Kimdaba and perl has Image::IPTCInfo.
I guess it is no problem for a skilled writer to make a iptc2xml script.
This script should do something like:
browse this dir for iptc keyword and update my index.xml
and/or browse this dir and write IPTC info from my index.xml.

For my self I have given up IPTC. In my experience there are a lots of trouble
with Unicode.