[KimDaBa] new feature: IPTC keywords

Marco Molteni molter at tin.it
Tue Oct 18 21:46:59 BST 2005

One of the missing features for image viewers/managers in the
Unix world is the lack of support for IPTC keywording, which are
widely used by professional photographers [1].

The only app I am aware of is mapivi, which has a user interface
that I don't like.

I think that adding IPTC keywords support to kimdaba would attract
a lot of photographers who today stay with windows because they
need photoshop and its support for IPTC keywords.

If you are interested, you should consider two related features:
1) a controlled vocabulary
2) storing the keywords in the images themselves

1) is a sort of the dewey decimal classification for books:
the list of keywords (what kimdaba calls categories) is fixed, to
allow for different people with the same controlled vocabulary to
perform searches on the same photo database and obtain the same
results ;-) Anybody can create its own controlled vocabulary or
one can reuse existing ones.

2) keywords should stay in the image files themselves (and eventually
cached in a database or the equivalent index.xml file), because
IPTC is a standard and you get automatic interoperability by storing
the keywords in the files.

thanks again
marco

[1] http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/imagedatabases/iptc_naa.html
--
He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself
without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine,