[KimDaBa] Import from camera

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 31 23:41:56 GMT 2004

   From: Shawn Willden <shawn-kimdaba at willden.org>
   Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:41:43 -0600

   On Friday 29 October 2004 04:51 pm, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   > I'd like to try to figure it out using a card reader rather than the
   > camera, if that's possible.

   It should be.  One complication is that to keep the scripts simple
   you'll probably have to make sure you always put the card in the
   reader before attaching the reader to the computer.  That's because
   there aren't any hotplug events for card insertion.

I do that anyway.

   When you plug in your CF reader, hotplug will load up the
   appropriate driver (almost certainly usb-storage) and then look in
   /etc/hotplug/usb for an executable file with the same name.  If it
   finds one, it will execute it.  So that's where you need to hook
   in.  That script will need to mount the CF file system ('mount -t
   vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/disk' or something similar), figure out which
   camera the card is from and then do the copying (and whatever else
   you want to do).

SUSE 9.1 already does that with submount.  The next thing would be to
add to the script to do the copying.

   How to figure out which camera the card is from?  Well, you could
   use jhead or metacam to analyze the EXIF data (metacam might be
   better, as I can't find a way to get jhead to read the "Owner Name"
   field, and I like the idea of using that more than the camera
   model).  You could just place an empty file in the root directory
   of each CF card with a name that identifies which camera the card
   goes with.  You could look at details of file names or file
   paths...

It looks like the exif command can handle this.

   Probably the nicest way is to use the EXIF data, because then you
   could swap cards around between cameras at will, and if you
   processed each image individually your script would still work just
   fine even if the card contained some images from one camera and
   some from another.

That's generally a bad idea for other reasons.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton