[KimDaBa] new snapshot ready - feature freeze

Reimar Imhof Reimar.Imhof at netCologne.de
Tue Jan 27 22:41:21 GMT 2004

Am Montag, 26. Januar 2004 09:34 schrieb Jesper K. Pedersen:
> A new snapshot has been created with yesterdays work.
>
> This also means that I'll slowly start a feature freeze, which will turn
> into a message freeze as soon as KDE 3.2 has been released (and thus .po
> files are again generated in kde-i18n). After two weeks of message freeze
> I'll release KimDaBa version 1.1.
>
> So, this is a good time to download snapshots, and report bugs, so 1.1 can
> be rock solid, when the masses get to it ;-)

Hello Jesper,

I've tried the new snapshot kimdaba-2004-01-26.

It compiles without problems on my KDE/Qt-3.1.1-system.

But there are some problems when running the program:
I've got several segment faults in different situations: changing properties
dialog layout and try to save it,
edit picture properties,
save kimdaba-index.xml file,
well, I've forgotten what else did not want to work.
Of course you need an exact way to reproduce the problems but I just wasn't
able to do so.
Do you think these are failures caused by KDE/Qt 3.1.1 that will disappear in
KDE 3.2?
How could I produce usefull error protocols so you could examine and
hopefully fix the problems?

The next problem didn't cause a crash but it's at least a little strange:
With the last snapshot I've tried (must have been 2004-01-21) all the pictures
had orientations of for example 0 or 90 degree rotation angle.
With the actual version kimdaba shows some pictures (thumbnails, previews,
just every view of a picture) with strange angles that are not 0 or 90 degree:
Now I got filenames in the ThumbNails directory like 64x64-18-pict0015.jpg or
like 256x256--72-pict0050.jpg or something like 256x256--342-pict0031.jpg.
I've tried to delete the thumb nails but kimdaba recreated these funny files.
When I have a look at the pictures (for example the thumb nails) they are
rotated for some non-90-degree angle. Perhaps it's just these 18 degree or 72
degree, etc. When I try to turn such a picture for another 90 degree, I still
get an angle different from let's say 90 degree.
I've got this problem even after deactivating the exif-option in the options
dialog and a kimdaba restart.

The next thing is something I think it's usefull for kimdaba usability:
When I press Ctrl-t I get the tool tip with picture information (which
persons, places, etc). This tool tip has an picture preview. Could you please
add an options dialog option that tells kimdaba if I want this preview in the
tool tip or not? On my computer (PIII, 450 Mhz) it takes quite a
long time to show the tool tip because I first have to wait for kimdaba to
create the tooltip picture and so it's just not usefull to get the
information about the keywords quite quickly.

One thing about the look and feel of the thumb nails and previews: I had a
look at GQview 1.2.2 (gqview.sourceforge.net). There you have a configuration
for the picture quality. Do you plan to add something like that to kimdaba?
So you could let's say generate thumb nails with good quality, preview
pictures with even better quality and have an html export with best quality
(if you configured it like that).
At the moment I got the feeling that the top quality of GQview seems
better then the one I see in kimdaba.

I hope I can help a little to improve kimdaba!

Bye
Reimar