[KimDaBa] Re: Wish-list for kimdaba

Tony Willoughby tonyw at pobox.com
Tue Jan 27 16:01:12 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 14:22, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> Some general information in this email, so I expected that a reply to all
> would have made it to the list, so here is a forward ;-)

> From: Jesper K. Pedersen <blackie at kde.org>
> To: Torben Menke <torben_menke at hotpop.com>
> Subject: Re: Wish-list for kimdaba
> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:12:01 +0100
>
> Torben Menke <torben_menke at hotpop.com> writes:

<snip>

> | For me it would be perfect if it would be possible to export my image database
> | to a php web-space. Because than searching and filtering of images would be
> | possible. I have some experiences with php and I think that this is not
> | difficult. At least not if there is one single “php-database” file. This
> | “web-GUI” would be a lot nicer than fixed html pages.
> OK, let me consider that....done ;-)
> KimDaBa have undergone some work wrt to the HTML output, no fancy php
> stuff, but it does indeed look a lot better now. With the help of Teemu
> Rytilahti, KimDaBa now supports themes, which hopefully will make it look
> even better, once people start contributing themes.

<snip>

The fact that KimDaBa is *self-contained* is what attracted me to it.
Programs similar to KimDaBa require setting up a real database and / or
webservers.  I'm not interested in that, I just want a quick and easy
way to find a specific picture among the thousands on my disk.  KimDaBa
does exactly that.

If Torben's feature can be added to KimDaBa without forcing me to use a
database or server (via compile time options or plugins or some other
magic) that would be cool.  Please don't overlook the appeal that
simplicity has.  :^)

Thanks for a great program!
Tony Willoughby tonyw at pobox.com
"Next time, I would rather break than bend." - Warren Zevon