[KimDaBa] What about EXIF headers?

Jody Harris havoc at harrisdev.com
Thu Dec 4 03:52:24 GMT 2003

I downloaded kimdaba this afternoon (after seeing a note about it on
LWN), and I'm really thrilled about it!

There is one thing that would, I believe, really enhance it -- EXIF
handling.

I shoot a Canon 10D.  Like most modern digicams, it stores extensive
data in the EXIF headers.  Much of the information is proprietary, but
most of the good stuff follows the EXIF standard.  Most critically, date
and time.

Since the timestamps on my images never match the creation time, getting
this info from the EXIF headers would be invaluable.

Unfortunately, I'm a photographer and a Perl hack.  I do know that there
are C libraries for harvesting info from the EXIF headers, though.
Also, ImageMagick does a good job of extracting that info.  ImageMagick
is installed by default on most modern Linux distros that I'm aware of.

Just thoughts.

I really hope I can be an asset on this list and not just a pain.

havoc
--
http://www.RealizationSystems.com/ -- start communicating
http://www.GalacticSlacker.com/ -- read it and weep