Release date for 1.7.6 scheduled: Monday, September 28th (CEST evening)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Sep 24 23:19:23 BST 2020

Hi,

sorry, verbose mode, but I guess this transparency might help given I am the
new guy to you here (and no time to shorten the text :P ) :

release handling things should be mainly sorted out now, already did a local
test tarball with the tool releaseme last night just to make sure things work
as I am used to from the other things I used releaseme with.

Having collected powers in recent years to upload to servers and add
bugs.kde.org product versions, that will be/is covered (well, otherwise this
would be done via admins, so just extra info here).

Access to konversation.kde.org website for updating with new release info is
also ensured now, either onto current design or proposed updated one (see
today's separate email on the topic).

For the promo part, I would be just writing an announcement for the mailing-
list kde-announce-apps at kde.org, so packagers are made aware it is time to
update their packages. Picking up Eike's previous emails as template.

I guess this should be a little-fuss-made-about release, as this is mainly a
translation update, with no serious bugs fixed or other changes worth
mentioning. Also no need to make noise about the 2 year gap. IMHO all energy
should be rather reserved for once master gets turned into the next stable
release hopefully to the end of this year, and shaping the message about it
and any new stuff in it.

For the adoption to the code for the release version bump, I will do a MR next
based on the commits I saw for previous releases, so you can cross-check I
follow this code's standards.

Hoping that Eike finds his release checklist soon to amend anything special
for Konversation. Otherwise the above is what I have in my TODO list for the
release.

I would start executing the release work during Monday afternoon/evening CEST.

While ideally there would be a set of people testing right now what is
becoming 1.7.6 (I run latest 1.7 branch myself at least, nothing seen so far),
it is unclear how many would be available and in which time span to get
coverage worth the waiting.
Given the commits since 1.7.5 doing actual code changes are only a few , and I
consider them well understood, I do not see a big risk for undiscovered
regressions. And thus nothing to make the lack of explicit pre-release testing
a show-stopper. In the unexpected case some regression has sneaked in
somewhere, I am prepared to do a quick 1.7.7 follow-up release.

Cheers
Friedrich