Alternate screen

Namikaze Minato lloydsensei+kde at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 18:12:45 BST 2023

Hello.

As you may know, version 20.12.0 implemented the possibility of
peeking primary screen.
I'd like to know if this can be fixed and extended.

I'm talking about fixing this:
Sometimes, the peek shortcut will not be captured by Konsole and will
instead be pasted in the application.
A good example is vi. open vi, and peek at the primary screen. It works well.
Now type / (in vi, to search for something) and try to peek at the
primary screen. Instead of just peeking, it will write your shortcut
(mine is <M-F12>) on the primary screen repeatedly. Mangling the
output of both screens.
I think the capture is not working properly in some cases, and this is
one of them. I haven't tested with a different peek shortcut.

The extension I am talking about is this:
Peeking is good, but why not allow switching to the primary screen?
Instead of having to keep pressing keys, a toggle would be much easier
(for copying text for example)
peek shortcut => you see the primary screen
Any key or the peek shortcut => you go back to the alternate screen
(without capturing the key)
Another extension, also very interesting would be to be able to peek
at the alternate screen when the active screen is the primary one. Or
even better: toggle to it like described above.

Where do I get this inspiration from? Mintty on Windows, which made me
discover the alternate screen and got me to love it.
Alt+F12 is the "toggle screen" shortcut and allows switching between
the two screens in-distinctively. Pressing a key will return the
screen to the active one before pressing the key. And Alt+F12 is
always captured and never forwarded to the running application.

I hope you like these propositions.
Cheers,
Minato