Help to understand konsole internals.

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Mon Jun 22 15:26:04 BST 2020

Hello devs.

I want to remove the konsole option `Run in one instance / multiple
instances`, and make it only multiple instances.

I know that the multiple instances is safer (crashing *one* window closes
only that window), but I also know that single pid is what allow us to do
drag & drop of tabs from window to another.

this will enable us to also change the command line to accept new versions
of the --new-tab that actualy works with multiple pid (as currently one
opens a new window), maybe a
`--new-tab --on-pid` or `--new-tab --on-konsole-with-title`

I know little about the intrinsics of konsole and I'm not sure if it's
possible (or at all) to "detach" a session, kill all the objects in konsole
and close the session / tab without killing the applications, and open a
new session in another konsole attaching the sessions to it.

I need some guidance in this part.

Tomaz