D21055: Highlight lines coming into view when scrolling

Thomas Surrel noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Oct 30 20:11:13 GMT 2019

thsurrel added a comment.

  Hi everyone,
  I would like to carry on working on this patch, I keep compiling my own version of konsole just for it. This patch is very valuable in situations where I have to go through logs with _very_ similar lines (which happens quite too often for my job) and I need to keep precise track of where I am while navigating. As Nate pointed it, this is not so useful when scrolling one line at a time, but when using the half-page jump with Ctrl-PageUp/PageDown, it becomes essential to have a visual hint of what lines have come into view.

  In D21055#465869 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21055#465869>, @mglb wrote:

  > F6826289: out.gif <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6826289>
  >  Fading out solves additional use cases:
  >
  > - something sometimes outputs always the same line (debug message) to a terminal. Does it spams the line in a loop right now, or I'm looking at previous lines? (for this the feature would need to work for new lines too)
  > - Repeated scrolling is distinguishable

  This looks really nice and would indeed make this patch useful in the case of scrolling. But fading based on a timer would kill the main feature I see in this: having a visual reference to be able to see what has moved. Maybe we have to find something in between the original proposal and this. What do you think ?

  Other question: should I keep this on Phabricator ?

REPOSITORY
  R319 Konsole

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D21055